- PS Formal Modeling (SS 2019)
Wednesday, 17:15-18:45, S2 Z74, Start: March 6, 2019
We discuss the formal modeling of mathematical problems that are amenable to algorithms and software from symbolic computation; the models are based on the language of algebra and logic. In the accompanying lecture we discuss examples from various application domains. in this proseminar students are expected to model selected problems and demonstrate their results in the form of small papers and presentations.
Every student chooses a formal modeling topic that (s)he elaborates. Grading is based on a short paper and a presentation. It is also possible to choose a topic and elaborate it as a bachelor thesis. In addition we will discuss the practice of mathematical research.
- March 6:
- Presentation of proseminar topics.
- March 13:
- Josef Schicho: How to write a mathematical paper.
- March 20:
- Wolfgang Windsteiger: How to give a mathematical talk.
- March 27:
- Wolfgang Schreiner: How (not) to use LaTeX.
- March - June:
- Individual meetings.
- June 12 (if necessary, also additional dates):
- March 6:
- How to Write a Mathematical Paper
- How to Give a Mathematical Talk
- How (Not) to Use LaTeX